27 Apr 2007

Trying to go green – and falling off the wagon

I recycle, I use Nature nappies or Moltex Oko (not as good as reusable, but let’s avoid that for now), I use products like Ecover and I buy Fairtrade. I’m in no way an ethical warrior or green queen (that accolade falls to one of my best mates, who leaves my pathetic attempts trailing in her wake), but I try. It’s a bit half-hearted to be honest, because I’m still a sucker for a cheap bargain from New Look or Primark and I think nothing of spending a tenner here or there on what can only be described as tat. I prefer Cadbury’s to Co-op’s Fairtrade chocolate, I’d watch Wife Swap over How To Be Green any day, I baulk at walking too far or taking the bus and I’m not exactly the type to waft around barefoot baking my own bread and living off mung beans. Or am I? Three days ago I had what can only be described as an ethical epiphany. After learning about a group in America called Compact (www.sfcompact.blogspot.com) who’ve pledged not to buy anything new for a year except for food, medicines and essentials (nappies, washing up liquid etc) I’ve decided to do the same. Charity shops, Ebay and reclamation centres are now the only places where I’m allowed to spend my money. The idea, in a nutshell, is that your resist global corporatism, but they also talk about de-cluttering your life, which, in my current state, sounds like a good idea.
It started off so well… we’d been looking at a set of garden chairs at Argos, until we found one on Ebay for around the same price. Then I mended a pair of shoes I was thinking of replacing. I felt good about it… I was shunning all those big businesses in favour of good, old fashioned ‘make do and mend.’ Then, in all my hippy dippy happy clappiness, I fell off the wagon. I popped into Green Baby for some reusable baby wipes (euccchhh) and parted with £16.99 for one of those amber necklaces for babies that supposedly help them with teething pain and keep them calm. ‘Well, the amber’s not new. It’s been around for centuries, so technically it’s not a ‘new’ purchase,’ M said later, helpfully trying to absolve my guilt. ‘And we’ll save on Bonjela and Calpol.’ Sam was a bit non-plussed about his necklace and no matter how much I pretend it suits him, he does look a little bit like a girl. Never mind… I guess I can always blame the PND for these moments of weakness. Talking of which, another friend has just told me she’s in the same boat and is seeing her doctor next week. Good for her, because admitting it is the hardest thing.

No comments: