28 Feb 2007

All blogged out

Three days ago, I decided I wouldn't do this blogging lark any more, for numerous reasons...
1. Who really wants to read about the minutiae of my tiny little life? Isn't it a little self-indulgent?
2. There are other blogs where women moan about being mums and I don't want to jump on that bandwagon...
3. I've offended a few people I know (obviously!)
But then I decided, stuff it, I find it cathartic to rant on about stuff that gets on my nerves and I hope other crummies find reading my rants cathartic, too.
Let's face it, I'm not doing this to wax lyrical about Sam. I could easily go on about how gorgeous he is (he really is), how he can already say a few words at just 11 months (he really can), and how there's not one second of one day where I don't thank God for him, but if I did, it would be a little tedious, wouldn't it?
No, all I want to do is to expel some myths about pregnancy, birth and motherhood. It's a job that none of us are prepared for. And just when you think you've got the hang of it.... BAM! They get ill/start moving/go off certain foods/decide the washing machine is more terrifying than watching The Shining. And you're in the dark again, just like you were when they first plopped into the world. So I've decided to continue blogging for now... if only to carry on getting a few things off my chest.
What do you think of this by the way? In the news today...
"Women face ongoing discrimination in the workplace, a major review of inequality in the UK suggests.
"A partnered mother with a child aged under 11 is 45% less likely to be in work than a partnered man, the Equalities Review says.
"The report suggests women with young children face more discrimination in the workplace than disabled people or those from ethnic minorities.
"It cites a survey of 122 recruitment agencies that revealed more than 70% of them had been asked by clients to avoid hiring pregnant women or those of childbearing age."
Isn't it shocking? But at £45 a day, my local nursery doesn't exactly make going back to work a viable option anyway...

No comments: